The State Of the Nation Address caused quite a stir last week Thursday in all media avenues, trending on Twitter and inspiring all kinds of memes but I’m not one to dwell on politics. I was more concerned with the red carpet shenanigans that showed up to the infamous shindig and the state at which they arrived. Needless to say the ever dapper Economic Freedom Fighters came in their usual gear, mining hats, overalls and doeks. Must be nice getting away with such, but really?
This is my countdown as to which were the most memorable attires that took the world of fashion by storm! This is my Top 5:
5. Like the EFF, the Democratic Alliance came looking like the cast of “Men in Black”! You can’t go wrong with black, and even Mama Helen looked stunning in a black number draped beautifully down to her feet. Go Helen!
4. President Jacob Zuma’s BFF, Baleka Mbete rocked a yellow and black two piece outfit and matching hat. Looking more dorrobucci! She might have missed the memo as it was The State of the Nation Address not the Premier of a Nollywood film.
3. The Mandela’s rocked traditional Xhosa garments and deserved to make it on a best and APPROPRIATE list! Mandla and his wife were the stars of the show but not quite as memorable as my number one. Shout out to Mandla rocking gladiators. Hope men are taking notes here.
2. The smile Mr President rocked when the EFF were forcefully kicked out of Parliament almost took it for me!!! It’s definitely enough to compete with the other fashions on the night… No shade.
1. IFP’s longest standing leader Mangosothu Buthelezi’s head gear got him feeling nostalgic of the JNB Met from back in the day with the Made to Fly theme. He looked like the black old version of Peter Pan! Kudos to him!